Community

The rise of the American ‘rockstar’ imams

R-O-C-K-S-T-A-R, is what I thought when I first saw Sheikh Hamza Yusuf speak at a Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) conference in Chicago. I was in awe, not just of his words, but by size of the crowd. This was not your average local halaqah (gathering) – this was a crowd of thousands who had traveled from all over the United States to attend the conference and to see Yusuf.

Read More

Halloween Muslim style: To treat or not to trick?

Growing up in the West, there are few holiday traditions that Muslim kids share with their classmates. They do not participate in the, “Whatcha get from Santa?” discussions or “What did the Easter Bunny bring you?” conversations. After Halloween, though, I remember being in the thick of the candy bartering sessions, and I wanted my children to enjoy the same sense of belonging and participation. But my three children all attended an Islamic school and it never occurred to me that the school may view Halloween as anything but innocuous fun.

Read More

The back row for menstruating middle schoolers

A photograph in the “Toronto Star” shows three rows of young Muslim females, all students at Valley Park Middle school, prostrating their heads in unison on a crisp white sheet in the school cafeteria as they say one of the five daily prayers. A short distance behind them, are eight girls wearing modest clothing and neatly wrapped headscarves who sit quietly, conspicuous in their observation, rather than active participation, in the communal prayer.

Read More

The hypocrisy of misdirected faith

After reading the news of 60 masked men, armed with iron rods, who barged into an all-girls high school in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, to enforce their vision of female modesty, I asked myself this question: what right do these “keepers-of-faith” have to rigorously impose Islamic morals on other people? I asked myself the same question when I read the news that Saudi morality police—acting as “God’s agents” on earth to prevent sin—beat up a woman and a man accompanying her on suspicion of dating. They turned out to be related.

Read More

A si and a smile

Before we left home, I had a long conversation with Zayd, our nine year old. I explained to him that we were going to Staples to shop for school supplies for underprivileged children in our community. I asked him gently to please not ask for anything for himself, that this trip was about doing something good for someone else. I reminded Zayd that I had already ordered his school supplies and that he would find them sitting on his desk on the first day of school.

Read More

Broken but not shattered

I was married to the perfect monster. I met him at 19 and was immediately charmed by his chivalrous and mild-mannered temperament. Within a year we married and he continued to shower me with affection, opening doors for me, combing my hair, running my bath water, and many times even bathing me. Along with tending to me in these small, sweet ways, he also taught me how to accept romantic love from a man since I had never experienced it before. This blissful honeymoon stage lasted less than a year.

Read More

My vendetta against Disney

Part of becoming a parent is that your life ends up delving into areas that you didn’t even realize existed when you were living unencumbered just a few years previously. One example of this is the personal hell I go through several times a day when attempting to change my two-year-old’s pull-up diapers (one that’s above-and-beyond the hell of, y’know, having to change diapers).

Read More

Burkini vs. Bikini

“Mommy Diaries” is the newest addition to Altmuslimah; mothers from around the country with children–toddlers, teenagers or even married sons and daughters—will share their stories on parenting. The series will feature reflections about mothering, both its day-to-day adventures and its big-picture concerns, from a Muslim American perspective.

Read More

Domestic violence and our bystander culture

Last August, a woman was gunned down outside my agency’s headquarters in New Jersey. She was shot 16 times through the back, in front of her two young children. Inevitably, it was established that she was a victim of domestic violence. At the time, she had attempted to do all the right things to leave her violent home for a place of safety – she had a restraining order against her abuser, was in the process of obtaining a divorce and even enrolled in nursing school to ensure financial independence. However, all this was ultimately not enough to save her life.

Read More

Domestic violence in the month of mercy

“I have to fast for fifteen hours and you don’t give me fifteen minutes to eat my suhoor! You don’t care. You’re lazy. Just get up a little earlier. And I swear you’d better do it quietly, because I don’t get to bed before midnight because of the late Tarawih prayers. You want to have a roof over your head? Then you’d better make sure I get up in time to make it to work at 8:00. I have to sleep after fajr a little bit just to function. You know that. How do you expect me to wake up after so little sleep if you are going to whisper so softly? If I’m late for work and get trouble from my boss, it will be because you couldn’t be bothered to wake me on time.”

Read More