Community

Inviting rape?

Recently, a friend shared with me that her undergraduate Muslim student group had declined to cosponsor a Take Back the Night event – an internationally held rally or candlelight vigil that speaks out against rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse. The reason given was that a Muslimah in the group felt that it would be “endorsing the way these women dress and behave.”

Read More

“Rediscovering” women’s rights: The question of beating

A recent Huffington Post editorial, “Women Retake Islam,” calls on Muslims to improve the status of women by “rediscovering the progressive jewel at the heart of Islam.” The author, Kamran Pasha, rightly attributes much of the misogyny in places like Saudi Arabia to regional customs rather than religion. Yet despite the many valid points he raises, he undermines his own argument by selectively disregarding elements of the Islamic tradition that seem unfriendly to women. This inconsistency begs a question which cannot be overlooked…

Read More

Unity is not uniformity: The American-Muslim challenge

The Ummah at inception, a community that could easily fit in the palm of Medina, was an entirely different creature than the Ummah today, a burgeoning population of nearly two billion. Although we are “one body,” we must recognize each of the “limbs” as truly independent bodies in their own right; only when we understand each geographic unit of the Ummah as distinct, can we begin to intelligently attend to the needs of each limb.

Read More

The Ultimate Muslimah Heroine: The Mother

In the seventh century CE, the Islamic faith was hailed for its institutional respect and dedication to our mothers. Islam’s founder, Muhammad ibn Abdullah (pbuh) ordered his followers to heed and obey their matriarchs, and several of his wives and daughters and granddaughters would be hailed as “Mothers of the Faithful.” “To say even “oof” to your mother,” chided the Prophet Muhammad, “is a sin.”

Read More

Ten years later, justice denied

On April 22nd, 2011 Pakistan’s Supreme Court struck a death knell to the rights of women in a country whose rape rates jumped by double digits last year. In the face of overwhelming evidence, hundreds of witnesses, and even a signed confession, the court, all men, acquitted five out of the six men convicted of the gang rape of a lone woman. The decision marked a bitter end to the victim’s decade long struggle for justice, during which time she endured harassment, illegal detainment, and psychological torture.

Read More

Exploring the dangers of excessive sentimentality

Women are in love with love. Particularly around Valentine’s Day and further into the spring, many women find themselves dreaming of a romance that will solve all of life’s ills and provide their heart’s desire. It doesn’t stop with Valentine’s Day. Women are by far the largest consumers of chick-flicks and romance novels.

Read More

Women and the public space: Part 3

“If there’s no religious restriction on women barring them from visiting markets, then there should be even less challenges for women to visit and participate in mosques.” The logic of Georgetown chaplain Imam Yahya Hendi is flawless, but nonetheless, American mosques continue to fail to put his instruction into practice. To explore why the mosque, a public space that one would assume opens its doors to all, is often hostile and unwelcoming to its female visitors, my research partner and I administered an anonymous online survey.

Read More

Women and the public space: Part 2

“God created this earth with men and women. If God wanted them to exist in different realities, we should divide the Earth in half: men on one side, women on the other,” says Georgetown’s Imam Yahya Hendi, the university’s first Muslim chaplain. “But God wanted them to exist to be social with each other.” While suggesting that we draw a chalk line down the center of our globe might cause a chuckle or two, when it comes to mosques in the United States, there does, in fact, exist a palpable phobia of the two genders freely mixing.

Read More

Women and the public space: Part 1

“Muslims kill Christians every day. How do you defend that?” the pastor demanded to know. The Muslim man smiled and repeated a story about the hospitality of Muslims towards travelers and guests of all faiths during the blessed Prophet’s days. I put my hand up to respond to the pastor’s combative rhetoric saying, “Muslims deplore killing! Many of us participate in human rights organizations to fight against such violence.” But neither perceived “leader” extended the courtesy of engaging me in polite conversation since, to them, I was only an American born Muslim woman whose presence was unwelcome.

Read More

A question of gender equality

Of the various strands of Muslim reformers and reformists, the Tablighi Jamaat, a Muslim association composed of volunteers and centered on internal individual and community regeneration, is a phenomenon that has taken form in recent times. The first convention of the Tablighi Jamaat was created and led by Maulana Muhammad Ilyas, and took place in New Delhi, India around 1927.

Read More