Community

Was it abuse? (Part II)

Sexual abuse remains a shameful, cloaked reality affecting many young girls and boys in the Muslim community, and no matter our uneasiness with the subject, and as indicated in Part 1 of this series, anecdotal evidence suggests that Rania’s story of her eleven-year long relationship with her maternal uncle is more common than we think.

Read More

Was it abuse?

Just having returned from an intense karate class, Rania* reflected on her anger, and how tired she felt upon the release of her anger. “I just hate him,” she thought. “I really just hate him.” She sighed, and her gaze fell upon on the mug he gave her that she had used daily for more than a decade. “But part of me loves him too. Is that wrong?” Rania was 13 when it began. He was her 36-year-old-married-with-children uncle. The relationship began slowly, with just a few inappropriate comments here and there.

Read More

Pursuing a harassment-free future for Egypt

Individuals familiar with issues in Egyptian society are cognizant of the problem of harassment, but others less informed on the country likely received a shocking dose of awareness through hearing of the Lara Logan incident. This two-part series began with a brief discussion of some media responses to her harassment. This follow-up article places what happened in a broader context and contends we should focus on the best possible result that can come from this tragic incident- a true mitigation of sexual harassment in Egypt- and how exactly it may be fulfilled.

Read More

Sexual harassment and the Egyptian Revolution

Individuals familiar with issues in Egyptian society are cognizant of the problem of harassment, but others less informed on the country likely received a shocking dose of awareness through hearing of the Lara Logan incident. This two-part series will begin with a brief discussion of some media responses to her harassment, followed by a second article which places what happened in a broader context and contends we should focus on the best possible result that can come from this tragic incident- a true mitigation of sexual harassment in Egypt- and how exactly it may be fulfilled.

Read More

The spiritual pitfalls of an online existence

We live in an iWorld. Surrounded by iPhones, iPads, MYspace, YOUtube, the focus is clear: Me, my, I. One need not look far to see this obsession with the self. In order to sell, advertisers must appeal to the ego. For example, many ads appeal to the part of us that loves power and being in charge. DirectTV tells you: “Don’t watch TV, direct TV!” Yogurtland says: “You rule! Welcome to the land of endless yogurt possibilities, where you rule the portions, the choices and the scene.”

Read More

Lost in translation

Converts to Islam are important ambassadors for American Muslims; increasing their participation should sit high on the priority list of the larger Muslim community. Although many improvements have been made in convert outreach, far too many who are new to the faith lack a strong sense of authenticity as Muslims, and consequently end up slowly disengaging from the religion. Unfortunately the messages they receive from other Muslims often reinforce their alienation.

Read More

A quiet evolution of faith

I was raised in a very religious Christian household. Religion is as much a part of our family’s identity as are the black eyed peas, corn bread, and greens we eat after Sunday service. At any given time, guests who walk into our home would be greeted by Christian, TBN/Moody Bible/Focus on the Family orchestra blaring on all three televisions and the radio. Outwardly, I sang in the church choir, orchestrated college trips to service, and dutifully made communion every first Sunday. But internally, a storm of confusion brewed.

Read More

Living Gender, Living Faith

Gender is a topic relevant to all spheres of life from the courtroom to the bedroom, workplace to worship centers. The Buxton Initiative and AltMuslimah aim to provide a space for people to share their stories and raise questions as they negotiate issues of gender and religion. To kick off this program, we will be hosting An Interfaith Social on January 31st at 6:30pm at The Case Foundation, 1717 Rhode Island Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20036.

Read More

Empathy day

For many Americans, the apparent lack of gender equality in Islam is a huge stumbling block on the road to understanding it. This may be partly because US history is tied to the Civil Rights and Women’s Liberation movements; for many, the slow struggle for civil liberties is not yet history, including the ever-present doctrine of “separate but equal.”

Read More

“Keepin’ It real” with young people

Today, making and keeping connections with American Muslim youth sits at the top of the priority list for Muslim communities across the United States. We are witnessing an increase in the rise of youth groups, organized youth associations, and Islamic classes geared specifically towards youth. Facilities are becoming widespread, but the real preparation lies not within room availability but in didactics; how can parents, teachers, and leaders communicate Islam to an entirely new species – Muslim youth of the 21st Century – while being “down” and “straight” with all that is “street?”

Read More