Community

Women behaving badly in mosques

<< From the AltMuslimah Archives >> Women in American mosques are loud and messy. They allow their children to run free. They socialize and chatter during khutbas. They rush out after the prayers and don’t participate in cleaning or re-organizing the space. They wear inappropriate clothes, allowing their scarves to slip off their heads, and dousing themselves with strong perfumes. They insist on coming to the mosque while menstruating, and pollute the consecrated space with their unclean presence…

Read More

I love Islamic school, I hate Islamic school, I love Islamic school…

Once the fingers and toes have been counted, the initial medical evaluation completed, and the call to prayer recited in the newborn’s ear, every Muslim parent asks the question, “How do I teach this child all he needs to know? Muslim mothers and fathers across this planet have grappled with the question of how to educate their child in the matter of all things religious: How to teach them Arabic, how to teach them the proper way to perform the five daily prayers, and how to teach them the myriad of lessons and observances integral to the practice of Islam.

Read More

Emancipating gender

I believe that the concept of emancipation doesn’t begin and end with gaining freedom from physical bondage. There is another deeper layer to this word; a person is truly emancipated when she can think, believe, speak and act without any influence or constraint. I cling to Islam to shape my emancipation—my liberation from my gender and my transcendence into a state of complete submission to God.

Read More

A peace prize for all?

What do butterflies, Javed Mohammed, and the 2011 Nobel Peace Prize winners have in common? The answer: Purpose! The International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women has been observed on November 25th since 1960 (although officially designated as such by the United Nations in 1989), its roots deeply seated in the brutal death by beating of the Dominican Mirabal sisters.

Read More

In defense of Aisha Khan

For six days, Muslims and non-Muslims alike were shocked by the seeming abduction of Aisha Khan. The Kansas student who was studying for her finals left a disturbing voicemail for her sister about a man who had been harassing her. When her family rushed to campus, they found her belongings, including her phone, in a neat pile on a picnic table with no trace of Aisha. This, coupled with the voicemail Aisha had left, was possibly the worst scenario any mother, father, sister, brother or husband could imagine.

Read More

A plea to help find Aisha Khan

Before fajr as I got up to get ready for my first prayer of the day, the words from my prior conversation with my husband dwindled in my mind. The khutbah this Friday was about how numb we were towards everyone and everything, hiding behind technology, securing every moment with mindless engagements. He said, “In this time we are so numbed by facebooking, tweeting, watching Netflix that we actually can’t genuinely feel a single emotion towards someone else’s pain. We’ve got so much to deal with in our own lives that we’d actually rather be desensitized to other people’s pain.”

Read More

Stuff to cram into my kids’ heads

Men. You can’t live with them and you can’t live without them. Children. You can’t live with them and you can’t sell them on eBay. And sometimes, sometimes you really want to write that ad. But since that transaction would be illegal, I like to take a deep yoga breath and focus on turning the little people in my home into humans I would actually want to spend time with.

Read More

My book and my friend

<< This piece complements Mariam Sheikh's piece, "The Reawakening.” >>
By the time I gathered the courage to email my friend Mariam for recommendations on local mosques, I had been keeping my secret for weeks. I was a half-closeted Muslim. My conversion to Islam came about with blinding speed and by accident.

Read More

The Reawakening

<< This piece complements Natalie Abraham's piece, My book and my friend.” >>
On a summer day two years ago, I sat in my office lost in thought. A half written legal brief sat on my desk while I focused on the river beneath my office window, my stress level high and my spirits low. Often as a college student I would turn to prayer to pull me out of a rut, and in law school I would open the Quran to get re-energized when overwhelmed by classes and work.

Read More

Searching for American “nu ahongs”

<< From the AltMuslimah Archives >>
A quiet Muslim community known as the Hui that has long been buried among China’s Buddhist majority has recently been receiving attention for its nu ahong – female spiritual leaders. While the spotlight is new, the concept is not. As early as the late Ming dynasty (around the 17th century), the faithful set up Muslim schools catering exclusively to young females and by the arrival of the late Qing dynasty in the 19th century, these schools had transformed into mosques operated by and serving women. In the coming decades, the practice of female Imams, if you will, permeated all Chinese Muslim societies.

Read More