Community

Mental and physical health tips every Muslim should know

There’s currently 3.45 million Muslims in America who are living in an increasingly hostile climate —  a challenge felt more so by Muslim women than men, a recent Pew study reveals. Particularly since 2015 (the lead up to the 2016 presidential election), the news has been awash with Islamophobic rhetoric and incidents…

Read More

Calling All Religious (Not Just Muslim) Leaders

Let’s End Female Genital Mutilation Jennifer, a member of the evangelical community in Kentucky, shared her testimonial as a survivor of Female Genital Mutilation(FGM) earlier this week.  Jennifer is a white, Christian, American – not the usual face of an issue that is often framed as a faraway cultural practice restricted to…

Read More

Finding God through struggle

What do we do when life becomes difficult? In times of uncertainty, struggle, and loneliness, it is easy to wonder if God really hears our prayers. We can seem like such an insignificant part of His creation. Why would He care for us, we may ask, when we are often…

Read More

A woman is Qawwaam, too. How did we miss that?

“Men are the qawwamoon (protectors and maintainers) of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they [the men] support them [the women] from their [the men’s] means.“ Qur’an 4:34 Most Muslims, and perhaps even some non-Muslims, are familiar with this contentious Qur’anic verse. The Arabic…

Read More

Celebrating Christmas with abandon

This holiday season I’m fully embracing Christmas.  Those of you who know me know I’m not a little bit Muslim.  I’m ardently Muslim.  I love dhikr, I celebrate when my kids recite chapters of the Qur’an, I quote from its meaning in conversation, I talk about the meaning and solace…

Read More

Making peace with death

I have found myself contemplating death ever since I returned from Hajj a few months ago. People perform Hajj to fulfill a religious obligation to God, to renew their faith in God, and to experience a sense of community with Muslims from around the world. In this sense, Hajj is…

Read More

Interfaith Solidarity: Triumphs and Backlash

This article is part of a collaborative series commissioned by altMuslimah and Jewschool to promote interfaith dialogue and understanding between Muslim and Jewish communities experiencing a rise in anti-Semitism and Islamophobia. This piece was originally published on October 17, 2017. At a time when political upheaval and rising waves of anti-Semitism and…

Read More