Is it possible to be “just Muslim?” In Episode 14, Sarrah AbuLughod and Shereen Yousuf reflect on Shia erasure and being invisible minorities in the American Muslim community.
- Sarrah AbuLughod, @SarrahABL, is the Community Engagement Manager at The Family and Youth Institute and a graduate student of Islamic Studies, Christian Muslim Relations, and Islamic Chaplaincy at Hartford Seminary.
- Shereen Yousuf, @, is a PhD student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the Rhetoric, Politics, and Culture Program. She has been a community organizer within the Shia community and is deeply interested in how Muslims are negotiating their sense of belonging within American Muslim communities.
- (1:10) Sarrah recalls the first time she was labelled as a Shia Muslim.
- (4:00) Ikhlas and Makkah reflect on when they learned about the many ways that Islam is practiced throughout the world.
- (12:40) We discuss what we learned about #TeamMuslim from Mahershala Ali’s Oscar Win.
- (18:13) Makkah asks her friend Sarrah to break down the different experiences that Shia and Sunni Muslims have in America and gets a little advice on how to frame (and not to frame) this episode.
- (27:54) A chat with Shereen about the big and small ways that Shia erasure occurs within our communities and what we can do about it.
- “Shiaphobia at the Intersection and Why it Matters”
- “Someone Murdered the Prophet’s Grandson and you ask why I Mourn Him?”
- “10 Tips to Make MSAs More Shia Friendly”
- After the Prophet: The Epic Story of the Shia-Sunni Split in Islam
- The Succession to Muhammad: A Study of the Early Caliphate https://www.amazon.com/Succession-Muhammad-Study-Early-Caliphate/dp/0521646960
- “Religious Authenticity in the Face of Anti-Muslim Sentiment”
Subscribe and follow Identity Politics on iTunes, Soundcloud, Acast and Stitcher so you’ll never miss an episode. And don’t forget to rate and review us: itun.es/us/oSeegb.c
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/identitypolitics
Questions, comments, suggestions? Email email@example.com
Intro and Outro Music:
RSPN by Blank and Kytt, CC-licensed: freemusicarchive.org/music/Blank__K…ious_-_08_RSPN