Community

Why does the menstruating woman not pray or fast?

As Salaamu Alaikum. I have had some Muslim friends asking questions about certain rules and regulations in Islam. Specifically, it was asked “Why don’t we women pray or fast during our menses?”. Now, the short answer to that is “God said so”. It is agreed upon by all the scholars…

Read More

The silence of shame

I was 16 the first time I experienced a panic attack. I was standing by the stairs of my parents’ New Jersey townhouse, looking at myself in the mirror, admiring the way my new turquoise blue salwar kameez draped down in graceful folds. Suddenly the room started spinning and I…

Read More

How can Muslims and Jews use intersectionality to confront White Nationalism?

This article is part of a collaborative series commissioned by altMuslimah and Jewschool to promote interfaith dialogue and understanding between Muslim and Jewish communities experiencing a rise in anti-Semitism and Islamophobia. Trumpian White nationalism and supremacy are transnational and have found their mirror globally, in emboldened movements that threaten both…

Read More

Zainab’s Courage

One of my earliest memories is of laying my head in my mother’s lap as she silently wept during a majlis, a gathering where a scholar recites the history of the slaughter of Prophet Muhammad’s (pbuh) family. She would gently stroke my hair with one hand and use the other…

Read More

What Ashura taught me about Trump

This Ashura, I’m more thankful than ever that I’ve had this lifetime of training, and of understanding to prepare me, to give me a sense of identity, to give me strenght to continue to stand up against injustice and to stand up in solidarity. I can smell the incense burning,…

Read More